David Lawrence Hall

Submitted by contributor on Tue, 12/20/2011 - 13:40
Alternate Names: 
Common Facilities Building
Architect Name: 
Johnstone
Additional Names: 
McMillin & Associates
Date(s): 
Completed in the spring of 1968
Neighborhood: 
East – Oakland

Location

3942 Forbes Ave. (btwn S Bouquet & Schenley Dr.), Pittsburgh, PA 15260
United States
40° 26' 32.8128" N, 79° 57' 18.8064" W

David Lawrence Hall is a major academic building at the University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States, where it serves as the school's largest lecture hall and auditorium facility. Completed in 1968 at a cost of $2.2 million and once known as the Common Facilities Building, the building contains many classrooms and lecture halls which are used for social sciences classes, in disciplines across the curriculum.
The building is named in honor of David L. Lawrence, former governor of Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh's mayor from 1946 to 1959. He was the leader of Pittsburgh's first great building Renaissance.
The hall houses the largest newly renovated auditorium on campus; it seats 998 people and is generally divided into two large lecture classes.
REF: absoluteastronomy

 David Lawrence Hall
 David Lawrence Hall
 David Lawrence Hall

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.