525 William Penn Place

Submitted by Peng on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 08:14
Alternate Names: 
3 Mellon Bank Center
Architect Name: 
Harrison & Abramovitz
Date(s): 
1949-1951
Neighborhood: 
Downtown Pittsburgh

Location

501 William Penn Place
United States
40° 26' 24.7308" N, 79° 59' 51.3312" W

525 William Penn Place  was completed in 1951 for the Mellon National Bank and the U.S. Steel Corporation. At 520 feet (160 m) tall, it was the second tallest building in Pittsburgh until 1970, the third tallest until 1984. The building has 41 floors and approximately 950,000 square feet (88,000 m2) of office space. Presently it is the third largest office building by square feet in downtown Pittsburgh.
 
Bibliography

  • Carnegie Mellon University Architecture Archives: photographs, etc.
  • “Pittsburgh Renascent: Two New Skyscrapers of Smart, Clean Design will Flank a New Mid-City Park.”  Architectural Forum 91 (November 1949), 66-69, 110.
  • “U.S. Steel Corp. and Mellon National Bank and Trust Co. Office Building, Pittsburgh, Pa.”  Architectural Record (September 1950), 192-194.
  •  “Alteration to Skyline: $28,500,000.”  Charette 30:11 (November 1950), 14-15, 33.
  • “The Ultimate Slab Uses the Best of Proved Building Techniques....” Architectural Forum 96 (April 1952), 130-134.
  • United States Steel Corporation.  525 (William Penn Place Building): The New Home of United States Steel, Planned for Better Service to Customers for More Closely Knit Operating Procedures.  Pittsburgh: United States Steel Corp., 1952.  Copy at HSWP.
  •  “[Mellon National Bank and Trust Co., Pittsburgh, Penna.].” Architectural Record 117 (March 1955), 145-156.
  • Aurand, Martin.  The Spectator and the Topographical City.  Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2006.
525 William Penn Place
525 William Penn Place

Location

Javascript is required to view this map.